Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Book Review - The Demon King, and Other News

Hi everybody!

It’s been a while since I last posted, so first I thought I’d list the most memorable events from the past couple of weeks:

1) I'm now on Facebook - become a fan of The Fire Stone here! (and follow me on Twitter)
2) It snowed 18 inches in Denver and melted two days later (typical Denver)
3) I finished the first book of my next series! (it's an urban fantasy trilogy, but that's all I can say about it...!)
4) I also read The Demon King by Cinda Williams Chima. Here's the review:

The Demon King is an exciting and highly enjoyable read. In the fantasy world of the Seven Realms, transformed streetlord Han Allister is struggling to feed his mother and sister and stay out of the gang-life he abandoned. When hunting with his friends Dancer, Han comes across a group of wizards and takes a strange amulet away from them. Later, he discovers that it once belonged to the Demon King, the evil wizard who nearly destroyed the world thousands of years ago. With the amulet comes bad luck Han’s life changes from complicated to chaotic.

Meanwhile, Princess Raisa ana’Marianna is confronting her own set of problems. Her mother, the queen, is being heavily influenced by Gavan Bayar, the High Wizard who advises her. Raisa feels trapped in her own kingdom and begins to notice trouble brewing that no one else seems to notice.

Both Han and Raisa are strong, free-spirited characters. The secondary characters in the book are also engaging and it is easy to sympathize with all of them. The overlap of Han and Raisa’s lives is particularly interesting because the reader witnesses it through two points of view. I really enjoyed reading this book and found that in addition to the connection the reader has with the characters, the plot was intriguing and mysterious. I highly recommend The Demon King.


In other news, I’ll be speaking at Cherry Hills Village Elementary School here in Denver tomorrow morning and I will be signing books at their book fair next week. On November 19th, I will also be at the Koelbel Library Teen Writing group. More information on that here.

Also, my book should be on the Amazon Kindle soon, so watch out for that!

I will post pictures from tomorrow if I can.

Check back in soon!

Riley

No comments: