Monday, February 15, 2010

KIPP Sunshine Peak Academy and Other News

Hi All!

I apologize for the lack of posting of late. Things have been busy, as usual :) - I've been in full writing mode working on the second book of my YA trilogy, as well as dealing with the commitments of my nonprofit, Breaking the Chain (and of course, schoolwork).

On Friday, February 12th, I visited KIPP Sunshine Peak Academy in Denver, Colorado, and spoke to four different classes of six graders there. KIPP is a great school and the kids were so interested and engaging! I loved being able to talk to them and to hopefully inspire them to do great things! Here are some pictures of the event:

I also have some more events coming up - I will be speaking at Denver Venture School on Wednesday, 2/17, Lewis Palmer Middle School on Friday, 2/19, and Kent Denver School, 3/1.

In other news, Breaking the Chain, my nonprofit for literacy, is launching a new program called Bookin'It. We're putting books into classrooms and in the hands of elementary and middle school students. KIPP was a recipient of our book donations, but we currently have 20 classrooms requesting books. There is an incredible need! It costs only $250 to "adopt a classroom" and provide them with the books that they need. If you can help or would like to learn more, please visit out website at www.linkbylink.org. Anything helps!

Until next time,

Riley

No comments: